Type the above hashtag into Instagram and you are bombarded with images of young wellness bloggers posting photos of them going ‘off the grid’ and ‘taking time out for themselves’. While this is completely unattainable for most of us (hello, student budget/full-time job/[insert life commitment here]), there is some benefit to the idea of ‘self care’. Sometimes our day-to-day can be so hectic, and when we actually have a half an hour to ourselves with nothing to do most of us grab our phones. Now, I’m as fond of scrolling through Instagram or Pinterest as the next person, but I regularly fall down the black hole of social media and realise that an hour has passed and, yet again, I didn’t have my relaxing bath or whatever I had wanted to do that evening.
Therefore, I have written myself a list of activities that I know I enjoy doing for those evenings when I have half an hour (I know that for some people even this seems like a luxury) or so to see if it will encourage me to give myself some lovin’ that doesn’t involve the instant gratification of social media.
This is my list below – I’d love to hear about any of your favourite self-care activities!
- Make a cup of herbal tea (*current favourite = lemon and ginger)
- Read some of my book in bed
- Do an adult dot-to-dot (don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it – dot-to-dots with 1,000 dots are tricky!)
- Challenge myself to a sudoku
- Run a bubble bath
- Paint your nails
- Do some of your colouring book
- Listen to a podcast in bed
- Go for a short walk
- Listen to a favourite album from start to finish (no shuffling)
- Do a face mask
- Catch up on some favourite blog posts
- Take a long shower
- Call my mum/nana/granny/neighbour
- Watch a DVD
I hope you get a chance to practice some self-care this week.